With a few business expos coming up (now is the second batch in the year for business shows, so it’s getting busy here at Trifle HQ), we wanted to share a few pointers to making your exhibition a well-executed, and planned one, which will ultimately help you get more connections and potential customers, from your stand.
What we tend to take with us (in our exhibition bag):
- Business cards – definitely an important one to have! You can ask the show managers how many people have booked, and then take a little more than that number, as you know some will take more than one and consider the other exhibitors too.
- Lots of paper and pens – we specifically like to have a table on our paper with “name” “company name” “telephone number” “email address” “location” on ours and leave that with a pen by its side on our table, so people we meet can fill in their details. You can also add a section to ask if people would like to join your mailing list, or if they are interested in receiving a phone call about the business/service you provide.
- A bowl – just a big glass bowl to take people’s business cards when they meet us. A great way to get more people doing this is to host a random competition where they will win something of value but that will not put you out too much.
- Our referral partner’s business cards – this will get you in the super good books with your connections. If you take a handful of their cards with you, you can then recommend your contacts to the people you meet. Not only does this give you brownie points with them (and the new connection, as they will admire your happiness to share), but it will also give the referral partner the idea to do the same for you at their next show.
- Larger advertising – whether this is flyers, leaflets, newsletters or pens, you need something that is more tangible than a business card. Shahida started a great thread within LinkedIn which asked what the best piece of advertising or “give away” is to take to a trade show. You can see that, and the great ideas, here.
So, the best thing to remember when planning to attend a business exhibition is the planning! You need to make sure that when you are there, nothing is missing from your stand, which will entice new customers to you. Go to other shows that you are not exhibiting at and take note of the best stands – what got you there, how did you remember them and what did they have that separated them from the rest? Then incorporate that into your own stand. We also suggest having a fantastic printer for your stand banners, it is so important to getting new people to you – most even have a design team who can help you make the best of your stand and space.
What will you be taking to your next trade show?